Privacy Notice

HIPAA Privacy Notice


Purpose of this Notice

Exceptional Care for Children is required by law to maintain the privacy of certain confidential health care information, known as protected health information (PHI), and to provide you with notices of ECC’s legal duties and privacy practices with respect to the resident’s PHI.

How the Resident’s Medical Information May Be Used or Disclosed Without Your Permission

The resident’s medical information may be used or disclosed for treatment, payment and health care operations without your written permission. Some services are provided through contracts with other state agencies or private companies. Some or all of the resident’s information may be disclosed without written permission to the other agency or company so they can do the job we have asked them to do. The other agency or company must also keep the resident’s information confidential.

Examples of common ways in which medical information is used or disclosed include:

·         Treatment: Medical information may be used or disclosed to coordinate the resident’s health care. For example, Exceptional Care for Children may notify the resident’s doctor about care he or she receives in an emergency room.

·         Payment: Medical information may be used or disclosed for payment activities such as checking if the resident is eligible for health benefits and paying healthcare providers for services the resident  receives.

·         Health Care Operations: Medical information may be disclosed to other government agencies that give the resident benefits or services.

·         Public Health and Safety: Medical information may be disclosed to prevent or respond to a serious health or safety emergency.

·         Research Projects: Medical information may be disclosed for research projects that meet privacy requirements and help evaluate or improve Exceptional Care for Children’s programs.

·         Informing You: Medical information may be used to tell you and the resident about benefits, services or healthcare choices you have.

·         Required by Law: Medical information may be shared when required by law.

Except as described above, Exceptional Care for Children cannot use or disclose the resident’s medical information with anyone without your written permission. You may cancel your permission at any time , as long as you inform Exceptional Care for Children in writing. Please note: Exceptional Care for Children cannot take back any health information that was already used or shared with your permission.

Your Medicaid Information Privacy Rights

You have the right:

·         To see and get a copy of the resident’s health information. Your must ask for this in writing. You may be charged a fee to cover coping and postage costs.

·         To ask for changes in the resident’s health information if you think it is wrong or incomplete. You must request, in writing, which information you want changed and why. Your request can be denied for certain reasons. Exceptional Care for Children must give you a written reason for denial.

·         To ask for limited use or sharing of the resident’s health information. You must ask for this in writing. Exceptional Care for Children may not be able to grant this request.

·         To ask for a list of who has been given the resident’s health information, with certain exceptions. The list will not include information provided directly to you or your family. You must ask for this in writing.

·         To ask for confidential communication. You may ask that Exceptional Care for Children share information with you in a certain way or in a certain place. For example, you can ask to be contacted at work or by e-mail.

·         To ask for a paper copy of this notice at any time.

To Exercise Your Rights

To exercise these rights, a request for inspecting, coping, amending, making restrictions, or obtaining an accounting of the resident’s health information must be made in writing to:

Exceptional Care for Children

11 Independence Way

Newark, DE 19713


For more information please contact Exceptional Care for Children at 302-894-1001.


Changes in this Notice

This notice may be changed or amended at any time. The changes are effective for all medical information, including what is on file. A new notice will be sent to you when changes are made.


If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint in writing to:

Region III, Office for Civil Rights

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

150 S. Independence Mall West

Suite 372, Public Ledger Building

Philadelphia, PA 19106-3499

Main Line: (215) 861-4441

Hotline (800) 368-1019

FAX: (215) 861-4431

TDD (215) 861-4440

You will not lose benefits or eligibility or otherwise be penalized for filing a complaint with the federal government.