at 302-894-1001. Types of admissions include:
- Long Term Care- a child who will be with ECC longer than 30 days and there is no future plan of discharge unless they reach the age of 21 and then will be transferred to an adult facility or back home with parent/guardian.
- Transitional Care- a child who is admitted to ECC so that the parents/guardians can complete training for the child to go home with them.
- End of Life (Palliative Care)- a child who may be in the last stages of life due to their medical prognosis.
- After the referral has been received then the Social Worker and one our Administrative Nurses will come out to where the child lives or is in the hospital to do a medical assessment. The medical assessment includes gathering all medical history on the child including:
- Diagnosis list
- Medication list
- the child’s likes and dislikes (toys, music, tv shows and movies, sensory concerns)
- All medical equipment used
- School information
- Current Medical status and plan of care
- Parents expectations of admission
- The information gathered at the assessment is brought back to the Admissions Committee and a meeting is held to make a decision if the child meets the criteria to be admitted to ECC. A child must meet the following criteria to be admitted:
- Have a skilled medical need which usually includes one of the following (feeding tube, receiving more than 50% nutrition, tracheotomy, wound care, peritoneal dialysis, iv therapy and or ventilator dependent)
- We have to ensure the safety of all of our other children at ECC and cannot provide one on one care.
- If the child is 18 years of age or older at admission to ECC there has to be a defined discharge plan in place for transition into adult services at the age of 21.
- A letter and/or phone call will be sent out to the referral contact and the parent/guardian with ECC’s decision.
Open Admission Policy Statement:
The admission of a patient to Exceptional Care for Children is not based on race, color, national origin, ethnic background, relative preference or sex. Exceptional Care for Children is in full compliance with Title VI, Civil Rights Act of 1964, Age Discrimination Act of 1975, rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504 and we are and Equal Opportunity Employer.